How to Compare Documents
with ABBYY FineReader PDF for Windows
Follow the simple steps in this video:
- Open the Compare Documents feature either through the interface visible on the left-hand pane or by right-clicking on the document to be compared in Windows Explorer.
- A window with two side-by-side panes will open. Drag each file into one of the side-by-side panes, or click on the document icon in the middle to select the correct file.
- Once the two document files have been uploaded, click the Compare button.
- The differences detected will be highlighted within the documents and also summarized in a pane on the right-hand side.
- To display a dropdown list of the save options available, click the arrow next to the Save button, found directly under the Compare button.
- Select one the options:
- Save either of the documents as a PDF file, with each difference marked as a comment, or
- Save the chosen document as Microsoft Word with Track Changes mode activated.
- Review and share the differences with colleagues.
Compare Documents Quickly, Reliably, and Effortlessly
Avoid the long, tiresome process of comparing text in two documents line by line. FineReader PDF detects the differences between two versions of a document within seconds. It accurately identifies relevant changes to the text without additional conversion steps, even if the versions of the document are in different formats such as Microsoft Office, digital PDF, scanned PDF, or even other scan and image files.
Focus on the Most Important Differences
FineReader will only display the differences that affect the meaning of the document and disregard insignificant differences such as formatting or line breaks. This lets you review documents 5 to 20 times faster* so you can focus on what is most important, simplify your work, and reduce the chances of missing something that matters. You can even manually disregard differences that are not relevant for your task, and they will no longer appear in the list of comparison results.
*In comparison to other PDF solutions, when comparing document copies in DOCX and digital PDF formats, according to ABBYY’s internal tests.
Export and Share Comparison Results
Tailor comparison results to your needs. If someone needs to approve or edit the changes, export to Microsoft Word in Track Changes mode. Or use a PDF with the differences marked as comments to share and discuss with others. You can even save a list of the differences themselves in a Microsoft Word table to have an overview for your records, reports, or discussions.
Compare Multilingual Documents
FineReader PDF supports text comparison in 37 languages, including documents written in multiple languages. The software can also automatically detect a document’s language.